Board of Directors, 2005 present
Serves on Board of Director of non-profit civil legal-services firm. The core belief of TeamChild is that youth can be diverted from delinquency when education, mental health, and housing needs are met.
PRO BONO LEGAL SERVICES
Washington State Bar Association, 2004, 2006 & 2007
Provided more than fifty hours annually of pro bono legal services as recognized by the Washington State Bar Association.
FEDERAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE TO THE OFFICE OF JUVENILE JUSTICE AND DELINQUENCY PREVENTION (OJJDP)
Washington State Representative, 2004 2005
- Advised OJJDP on juvenile justice policy and distribution of federal funds to the states.
- Appointed by Governor Locke and OJJDP Administrator, Robert Flores.
WASHINGTON STATE JUVENILE DETENTION ALTERNATIVES INITIATIVE (JDAI)
Chair of JDAI Stakeholder Committee, 2003 2005
- Collaborated with the Annie E. Casey Foundation to plan and implement juvenile-detention reform statewide.
- Convened stakeholders’ meetings to introduce and support the initiative.
GOVERNOR’S JUVENILE JUSTICE ADVISORY COMMITTEE (GJJAC)
Chair, 2002 2005; Member, 1999 2005
- Advised the Governor and Legislature on issues that affect youth in the State of Washington.
- Chaired a statewide committee of juvenile justice professionals, including attorneys, judges, law enforcement officials, court administrators, and social service providers. Committee distributed more than one million dollars in federal and state grants to youth programs throughout Washington State.
NATIONAL COALITION FOR JUVENILE JUSTICE
Washington Representative, 2002 2005
- Represented State of Washington in a national consortium of state advisory committees.
- Provided training and technical assistance to state advisory committees throughout the country.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS, WASHINGTON PROTECTION AND ADVOCACY SYSTEM (WPAS)
Chair, 1999 2005
- Chaired the board of a non-profit agency that advocates for persons with developmental disabilities and mental illness.
WPAS provides individual advocacy and system advocacy, and brings class-action litigation to improve the conditions at Eastern State Hospital and Western State Hospital in Washington.
JUVENILE TREATMENT COMMITTEE, KING COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION
Member, 2002 2003
- Contributed to the assessment of the availability of treatment resources for juvenile offenders in King County, Washington.
Stakeholder and Treatment Team Member, 2000 2003
A Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grant to King County Juvenile Court.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, KING COUNTY JUVENILE DRUG COURT
Member, 1999 2003
EXPLORER PROGRAM, CRIMINAL MOCK TRIAL
Coordinator and Instructor, 1998 2003
SEATTLE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
Moot Court Judge, 2001
QLaw (aka LEGALS PS) JUDICIAL EVALUATION COMMITTEE
Gay and Lesbian Lawyer Association Judicial Ratings
Member, 1997 present
CAREY & LILLEVIK, PLLC
Partner, 2005 Present
Founding partner in law firm that emphasizes juvenile law, dependency law, criminal defense (juvenile and adult), family law, and estate planning.
Attorney, 2004 2005
- Attorney for youth in education, special education, public entitlements, health care, and housing cases.
- Initiated a project that serves adolescents who are aging out of foster care.
SOCIETY OF COUNSEL REPRESENTING ACCUSED PERSONS
Attorney, 1988 2005
Juvenile Unit Supervisor, 1999 2003
- Represented low-income persons. Responsible for large, complex caseloads. Practice areas included: Juvenile Offender, Adult Felony, Adult Misdemeanor, and Juvenile Dependency.
- As Juvenile Unit Supervisor, supervised and coordinated juvenile division. Managed, trained, and evaluated attorneys, investigators, paralegals, and social workers. Served as resource for attorneys representing juveniles. Provided community education on juvenile justice issues.
WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW
Juris Doctor, 1987
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and Philosophy, 1982; Dean’s List, 1979 1982
Washington State Bar Association, Admitted 1987
Federal District Court for Western Washington, Admitted 1987
Alaska State Bar Association, Admitted 1988
Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Washington Women Lawyers
Greater Seattle Business Association
Washington Defender Association
King County Bar Association
Suquamish Tribal Court